To find the information you need, simply click the first letter of what you’re looking for. For example: for “Car Parks”, click “C”. 
[ A ]
[ B ][ C ][ D ][ E ][ F ][ G ][ H ][ I ][ J ][ K ][ L ][ M ]
[ N ][ O ][ P ][ Q ][ R ][ S ][ T ][ U ][ V ][ W ][ X ][ Y ][ Z ]

Adult Education 
Norfolk County Council offers a wide range of courses for adults. Please visit their website for more information.

Allotments in Diss are managed by the Diss & District Allotment Holders Association. For more information, visit their website.

Alcohol Control Zone / Designated Public Places Order
In this area, it is against the law to continue to drink alcohol after being told not to by a Police Officer or Community Support Officer and gives them powers of confiscation. This was introduced to increase the powers of the Police to control those whose consumption of alcohol is causing a nuisance.

Anti-Social Behaviour 
Please report all incidents of anti-social behaviour to the Police via 101 (non-emergency) or 999 (emergency) as soon as you witness it. The more it is reported, the more likely the Police will be able to detect a pattern of behaviour and put in place plans to tackle crime. If you witness anti-social behaviour on Town Council property/land, please also report it to us.

[ B ]
Back to top.

For more information on Council tax and benefits, contact South Norfolk Council, or your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB).

Bees and Wasps

For help with bee and wasp problems, click here.

Blue Badges
Blue Badges are provided by Norfolk County Council. Click here to find out more.

Broken Glass
If you find broken glass around the town, please report it to us.

Brown Bin
Brown garden waste bins are supplied by South Norfolk Council. Click here to order a bin, check your collection day, renew your pin or change your account details.

Bus Passes
Norfolk County Council provides both an Age-Related Travel Pass, and a Disabled Travel Pass. Click here to find out more, and apply for yours. Age-related concessionary bus passes should renew automatically and be sent to you in the post. Remember to update Norfolk County Council with any address changes.

Bus Station
Diss Bus Station is owned and operated by South Norfolk Council and is located on Park Road opposite Diss Park. From here you can catch both local and national services. To report a problem click here.

Bus Timetable
Regular national services to Diss are provided by National Express whilst local services to Diss are predominantly provided by Simonds, and Semmence. For more information on bus services to and from Diss, go to the Travel Line East Anglia website.
Can’t find a service? Why not try a Community Transport Scheme?

Business Rates
Business rates are managed by South Norfolk District Council. Click here to find out more.

There are no restrictions on buskers in the town centre. However, following some complaints, the Town Council is working in partnership with South Norfolk Council to develop a code of conduct so that busking enhances the ambience and general enjoyment of the town centre.

[ C ]
Back to top.

Your local CAB can be found on Shelfanger Road, Diss, IP22 4EH. Visit their website for more details.

Car Parking
There are 14 car parks in Diss. Eight of these are managed by South Norfolk District Council. You can apply for a season ticketreport an abandoned car or access general car parking information here. There are additional car parks at Diss Railway Station, Gilray Road and at the supermarkets in Park Road.

Car Boot Sales

Car Boot Sales are held on the Park throughout the Spring/Summer season.

If you would like to take part in a car boot sale on the Park, please contact us to find out available dates for this year. To view our rules and regulations or to download an application form, click here. 

The Carnival is an annual themed event that kicks off the summer season in Diss. This event is organised by a sub-committee of the Town Council. Visit the Carnival website or Facebook to find out more.

The town’s CCTV system comprises 10 cameras in key locations in the town centre, which will also offer free town centre wi-fi. This community project has been held up for some time but we are hopeful the system will be fully operational soon. If you wish to get involved, contact details will be provided here so watch this space!

Diss Town Council manages and maintains the Cemetery on Heywood Road. If you would like to purchase exclusive rights or install a monument, please contact us.  If you have a query regarding death certificates, please contact the Norfolk Registry Office.

Charity Stand
To book a charity stand on our Market Place, click here.

There are many options for childcare in and around Diss including pre-school groups, nurseries and children’s centres. Search the Norfolk Directory for details. There is also a wide range of activities and groups to get involved with around the town.

Christmas Lights
The Christmas Lights switch-on event is organised by a sub-committee of the Town Council. If you’re interested in helping to organise this key event or you would like to provide a stall or entertainment, contact us.  The Christmas Lights that adorn the town centre are owned and installed by the Town Council. To find out more, visit their website page here or contact us.

St Mary’s Churchyard in Diss is a churchyard closed to burials however the Town Council is responsible for maintaining everything that is within its curtilage except for the church itself! If you need to report a problem, such as damage or littering please contact us. For matters relating to St Mary’s Church, please contact the Parish Office

See also: Cemetery.

Cold Calling
If you are being bothered by cold calling at your home, contact your Safer Neighbourhood Team on 111. When answering your phone you should ask who is calling, from which firm and ask for a telephone number and contact person if you want to take it further in a complaint.

Community Funding
The Town Council offers support to local community groups. Click here to find out more.

Community Transport
Local community transport schemes include Borderhoppa and Rickinghall & Botesdale Community Bus.

Corn Hall
The recently transformed Corn Hall is owned by Diss Town Council and leased to the Corn Hall Trust. Click here to find out what’s on at your local venue.  See also Heritage Triangle Project.

Council Tax
Council Tax is collected by South Norfolk Council, visit their website for details.

County Councillors
Our County Councillor (Diss) is currently Cllr Keith Kiddie. Find out more, or contact him here.

[ D ]
Back to top.

There are eight public access defibrillators in and around Diss, in various locations, three of which are 24 hour access. Check out the map here.  The nearest 24 hr defibrillators are at the Diss Methodist Church on Victoria Road, outside Adkins opticians on Market Hill, outside Larking Gowen on Gilray Road and on the Jewsons building at the bottom end of Victoria Road. Supermarkets may also have their own on site. To find out more about the defibrillators and how they work, there is a handy FAQ on the Community Heartbeat Website.

Diss Matters
Diss Matters is our quarterly publication. It is delivered to every household in the parish with spare copies available at the Town Council offices & Diss Corn Hall.

We encourage the community to make use of this magazine to share news, stories and experiences of our lovely town. Have you got a story you’d like to share? A letter for inclusion? Maybe you spotted a typo? (Sorry!) Regardless, we’d love to hear from you. You can see previous copies of Diss Matters by clicking here.

Diss Town Guide 2020

A very useful local magazine featuring local information on community services, clubs, organisations, societies and businesses.

View the 25th edition of the Diss Town Guide. 


District Councillors
District Councillors are elected to represent the residents of their ward. The District Councillors for Diss are currently Cllr Jenny Wilby, Cllr Graham Minshull and Cllr Keith Kiddie. You can find all the details you need on South Norfolk Council’s page.

Dog Bins
The Town Council has provided approximately 30 dog bins around Diss and determines requests for additional bins based on proximity to others and available budget. As the bins are emptied by South Norfolk Council, please report any bin problems here.

Dog Fouling
Dog Control Order 2008 – the whole of South Norfolk is covered under (section 55) of the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act making it an offence to allow your dog to foul in any area that is open to the public and not clear it up. Failure to clear up could result in a fixed penalty notice being issued and, if convicted in a court, fines of up to £1000 can be imposed.

If you see someone not clearing up after their dog please report it to SNC here, with the owners’ details and where it happened.  You can also request some “No dog fouling” signs to be put up in places where you know there is or has been a problem with dog fouling.  To request “no dog fouling” signs, email South Norfolk Council.

Duck Pellets
Contrary to popular belief, bread is actually very bad for both the ducks and the Mere. Soggy bread in the Mere can encourage growth of blue-green algae, and the bread is also damaging to the ducks’ digestion. If you fancy feeding the ducks, please use specialist duck pellets or seed. You can buy duck pellets from the Break Charity Shop (opposite the Mere’s Mouth).

Diss Youth & Community Centre (DYCC)
The Diss Youth & Community Centre (DYCC) is located on Shelfanger Road (IP22 4EH) and is owned and managed by the Town Council. You can find out more about booking the facilities or finding classes here.

[ E ]
Back to top.

Diss Town councillors are elected every four years with the 2019 elections having just taken place. You can find out more about our councillors here.

Electoral Register
To register to vote, or update your details visit the GOV.UK website here.

There are a wide range of events on offer in and around Diss. Check out our Events Calendar to see what’s coming up.

[ F ]
Back to top.

Farmer’s Market
Due to a national change in shopping habits, Diss Town Council has noticed for some time the reducing number of customers to the Diss Farmer’s Market. Following discussions with stallholders, they have made us aware that they will no longer be attending the market on the second Saturday of each month. While it is disappointing to lose Diss’ Farmer’s Market, discussions have been had on the opportunity to reinvent this concept similar to the continental markets that have visited Diss in the past annually.

The Diss Farmer’s market was effective for many years and we would like to thank those traders and supporters who made it a success. The Town Council would be keen to support a Farmer’s market should there be future interest and would be happy to work with members of the community if they were keen to get involved in the future.

Fly Tipping
If you see someone fly-tipping, try and get as much information as possible, such as the location and vehicle registration. To report fly tipping, or find out more, click here.

[ G ]
Back to top.

Garages for Rent
Saffron Housing offer garages to rent. Click here for more information.

Grass Cutting
Highway verges are cut for road safety purposes to maintain visibility at junctions and to provide room for people to walk on the pavement. Norfolk County Council have two grass cutting schedules – one for roads in urban areas and another for rural roads.

Grass verges in urban areas are cut five times between May and September. Some boroughs and districts may cut more frequently.  Verges in rural areas countywide are cut twice a year.

For more information, visit Norfolk County Council’s website.

Grit Bins & Gritting
There are approximately 15 grit bins in Diss, which are for use on the public highway and footways only. Norfolk County Council will fill bins by early December and, if necessary, again by early February. For information on grit bins and gritting routes, click here.
Please contact us if you feel you have an exceptional case for amending gritting routes.

If your location would benefit from a grit bin, raise the funds and then get in touch with us. We will purchase one on your behalf and liaise with Norfolk County Council to get it installed and filled.

[ H ]
Back to top.

Handy Person Scheme
Click here to find out more and request a handyperson.

Hedges and Verges
In most cases the boundary hedges and trees that are next to roads are the responsibility of the adjacent landowner. Norfolk County Council is responsible for trees growing on adopted highway verges only. Find out more here.

Heritage Triangle Project
The Heritage Triangle Project includes the restoration of Diss Corn Hall, regeneration of the Heritage Triangle and a new Mere boardwalk and gardens.  Find out more here.  Diss Heritage Triangle also has a popular page on Facebook: @DissHeritageTriangle

To report highways issues such as pot holes or raised manhole covers, contact Norfolk County Council on 0344 800 8020 or use their online form.

Click here for South Norfolk Council’s guidance for those who are homeless or at risk of losing their home.

Honoured Citizens
The Honoured and Junior Good Citizen Awards are attributed to members of the community for outstanding service to the community. To nominate someone for this award, and find out more, click here.

Click here for Housing Advice and options from South Norfolk Council.

[ I ]
Back to top.

Illegal Parking
The Council regularly receives complaints from the public about the ways in which vehicles are parked in an obstructive manner around the town including near junctions and on pavements. Footpaths are not intended for stationary vehicles and parking near junctions hinders visibility, causing a danger to users of both the highway and pavement.  South Norfolk Council has responsibility for parking enforcement and is working with Diss Town Council and Norfolk County Council to improve responsible parking in Diss.

To report illegal parking on roads in Diss where there are parking restrictions (yellow lines, time limited waiting, etc.) click here.

Norfolk Constabulary also has powers to respond to parking obstructions and the police will respond to complaints from individuals obstructed from passing a parked vehicle (i.e. a wheelchair user).
To report an abandoned vehicle, click here.   If everyone can play their part in parking considerately, Diss would be a more user-friendly and safer place for all.

[ J ]
Back to top.

Job Vacancies
Diss Town Council currently employs 12 members of staff – six in our maintenance team and six administrative staff. Job vacancies will be advertised on our website or Facebook page as they arise.

Job Centre

Find your nearest Job Centre

[ K ]
Back to top.

[ L ]
Back to top.

Leisure Centre
Diss is fortunate to have its very own leisure centre located on Victoria Road (IP22 4JG). This is owned and operated by South Norfolk Council. For more information, click here.

Leisure Passport
The Leisure Passport offers reduced price admission to leisure facilities for people living in South Norfolk who meet certain criteria. Click here to find out more.

Diss Library is located on Church Street (IP22 4DD). Click here for more info. To search the Norfolk County Council Libraries catalogue or renew items, click here.

Hirers of the Town Council owned sites (Market Place, Diss Park etc.) wishing to sell/supply alcohol or provide entertainment must sign a license with the Designated Premises Supervisor.
South Norfolk Council look after the licensing of all taxis, animal premises, food premises & the licensing of premises that sell or supply alcohol, or provide entertainment. Visit their site for more information.

Litter Bins
The litter bins in Diss are owned by the Town Council. Those on Town Council land are emptied by us and the others are emptied by South Norfolk Council. Please contact us to report any damage to the bins.

Lost Property
Lost property in the town is occasionally handed into the Police Station or Town Council Offices. We post items handed in to our offices on our Facebook page for collection.

[ M ]
Back to top.

Local maps are available from Diss Publishing bookshop and the Town Council Offices.

Diss has regular Friday and Saturday markets. There are also opportunities for promotional and charity stands. Find out more and book a pitch here.

Meetings of Council
All Council meetings take place on Wednesday evenings at 7.15pm with the exception of the Planning committee, which meets at 6pm. Meetings take place in the Corn Hall Council Chamber. View the schedule of Council Meetings for 2019-20 here: Schedule of Council Meetings 2019-20

Owned and managed by Diss Town Council, Diss Mere – a six acre natural lake in the centre of Diss – is one of the town’s biggest attractions. Find out more here.

Mere’s Mouth
The Mere’s Mouth is leased to Diss Town Council and is a popular venue for an increasing number of events. A limited number of stalls are allowed in the area. Please contact us if you wish to book a pitch.

Mid-Suffolk Enquiries
For enquiries relating to the Mid-Suffolk District, please visit their website.

The local MP for South Norfolk is Richard Bacon. You can contact him here.

Diss Museum is located in the Market Place (IP22 4AB). Find out more here.

[ N ]
Back to top.

Neighbourhood Planning
Diss Town Council is partnering with the community and neighbouring parishes to develop a Neighbourhood Plan. Once completed, this document will determine where development will happen, in what quantity and quality. It will also define what infrastructure will be required to support that development. A Neighbourhood Plan is very much community led and there will be plenty of opportunities to get involved or express your views. Click here for more information.

Noise Pollution
South Norfolk Council offers advice on noise pollution and regulations. Read more here.

Notice Boards
The Town Council owns two notice boards in the town. One outside its Offices on Market Hill and one in the Market Place in front of the railings at Boots.

[ O ]
Back to top.

[ P ]
Back to top.

Diss Park is located in the centre of town (IP22 4AG) next to the Mere with an adjoining car park off Park Road. To find out more, or look for events in the park, click here.

Parking See Car Parks or Illegal Parking.

Park Pavilion
There is a small kiosk in the Park Pavilion serving refreshments and snacks seven days per week 10am – 4pm from April to September, weather permitting.
The Park Pavilion is owned by Diss Town Council and can be hired for events. Visit here to find out more.

Pay an Invoice
Invoices can be paid via cash, cheque or BACS payment to Diss Town Council. Contact us with any payment queries or pop into the office.

Pension Verification
Diss Town Council offers pension verification for those receiving pensions from other countries. Simply bring in your completed forms and a photo ID document (such as a passport or driving license) and we can validate the forms for you.

Search for planning applications on South Norfolk Council’s planning portal here.

For more information, please visit our planning hub.
Visit here to learn more about our Neighbourhood Plan.

In an emergency, please dial 999. For non-emergencies, dial 101. There are many other ways to contact Norfolk Police, Diss’ nearest Public Enquiry Office is in Thetford.

Postal Vote
To find out how to register for a postal vote, click here.

We are happy to receive posters for local community events for display in our notice boards. Just drop two colour copies maximum of A4 size in to the Town Council Offices. Please note, although we endeavour to get all posters on display in the run up to an event, we have limited space each week.

Post Office

To find out where your local Post Office is, please click here. 

The Council sets its annual budget by determining how much it needs to spend and how much it anticipates it will receive in income. The difference is the amount that the Council asks South Norfolk Council to raise from council tax payers and is known as the precept. To find out more about Diss Town Council’s finances, please click here.

Promotional Stands
To book a promotional stand on our Market Place, please click here.

Public Toilets Please see Toilets

[ Q ]
Back to top.

[ R ]
Back to top.

Radar Key Please see Toilets

Rail Cards
National Rail offers advice on how to save on fares and how to calculate season ticket costs here.
Details of annual rail cards offering a 30% discount on fares for those who meet certain criteria can be found here.
Age-related concessionary rail cards are not available.

Records Office
The Norfolk Records Office holds birth, death and marriage records dating back to 1837. Contact them here.
For records within the last five years, please contact Norfolk Registration Services.

Rectory Meadow
Rectory Meadow is owned by Diss Town Council and leased to Diss Cricket Club. Here you will find the cricket pitch and pavilion, and the area is a public open space frequently used by dog walkers. Please ensure dogs remain on leads and use the dog bins provided.
See also Dog Bins & Dog Fouling

Recycling & Refuse
For issues regarding Waste and Recycling, including missed collections, contact South Norfolk Council on 0808 168 3333 or click here.
See also Waste Recycling Sites.

The Registrar administers births, deaths and marriages and works to appointment (9.30-13.30 Monday – Friday) from the Council Offices. To book an appointment, contact Norfolk Registration Services on 01603 306149 or book an appointment online.

Road Closures
You can view a map of road works and temporary road closures in Norfolk here. We also hold details of local road closures in the Town Council Offices.

[ S ]
Back to top.

If you need to install scaffolding in Diss, you require a permit from either Norfolk County Council or the Town Council if it is being installed on our land. If scaffolding is causing an obstruction, please contact Norfolk County Council Highways.

School Transport
Click here to find out about School Transport services available in your area.

There are three schools in Diss. One secondary school and two primary schools. Within a 5 mile radius of Diss are 9 other primary schools. For information and advice regarding education and learning visit Norfolk County Council.

Small Grants
For information on our Community Funding Schemes, click here.

Social Services
Social Services are provided by Norfolk County Council, visit their website for details.

Sports Ground
The Sports Ground (IP22 4DX) is owned and managed by Diss Town Council. Click here to find out more.

Street Cleaning
Street cleaning in Diss is primarily undertaken by South Norfolk Council
The Town Council also works hard to keep the town centre well maintained. Please report any broken glass, graffiti or litter here.

Street Lighting
South Norfolk Council own and operate streetlighting on their land eg Car parks. Diss Town Council maintain lighting on footpaths, which were previously maintained by SNC.
It is important to provide the street light number, street name and description of the issue when reporting faulty streetlights.

Street Signs
To report damage to a road sign, contact Norfolk County Council Highways team.

[ T ]
Back to top.

There are currently two sets of public toilets in Diss. The Town Council own and maintain the Diss Park conveniences situated by the car park. Report any issues to us.

The toilets at Mere’s Mouth are managed by South Norfolk Council. Click here to report any issues, or request a radar key for the accessible toilet.

There are also publicly available toilets in Diss Corn Hall located on St Nicholas Street.

Tourist Information Centre
Please visit the Visitor Information Point at the Corn Hall.

Town Guide
The Diss Town Guide is produced by a committee once every two years. View a copy of the latest Diss Town Guide here.

Town Mayor
The Town Mayor (Council Chairman) is elected annually at the Annual Meeting of the Town Council in May. The current Diss Town Mayor is Cllr Sonia Browne. Find out more about the Mayor by clicking here.  If you would like the Mayor to attend an event, email or phone 01379 643848.

Town Clerk
The Town Clerk is effectively the chief executive of the Council and is responsible for ensuring the smooth running of the Council, supporting Councillors in all aspects of their work, including making informed decisions. Diss Town Council currently has 12 members of staff including those in the office, finance department and maintenance team.

Diss’ Town Clerk is Sarah Richards. If you wish to get in touch with Sarah, please contact us via:
T: 01379 643848

Trading Standards
Norfolk County Council provides advice on Trading Standards, which includes food standards, animal welfare, rogue traders, loan sharks and scams. Report something to Trading Standards here.

Norfolk County Council offers guidance on finding authorised encampments, reporting unauthorised encampments and support for members of the travelling community. South Norfolk Council can also be contacted for more information.

As large parts of Diss are within the conservation area, many of the trees are protected and permission is required to undertake any works on them. You can find out if a tree is protected by contacting South Norfolk Council.

Please contact us to report low hanging trees and broken branches on Town Council owned sites.  If there is a problem with a tree on the highway verge, or affecting users of a footpath or road, you will need to report this to Norfolk County Council.  If the tree is on a South Norfolk play area, public open space or leisure area, then you will need to contact them.  Finally, if you are a tenant of Saffron Housing Trust, then you will need to contact Saffron Housing Trust.

[ U ]
Back to top.

[ V ]
Back to top.

Vandalism Please see Anti-social Behaviour

Verges Please see Hedges.

Visitor Information Point (VIP)
The Visitor Information Point, formerly Diss’ Tourist Information Centre, is located in the Corn Hall on St Nicholas Street and is open from 10am – 4pm Monday – Saturday.  Please browse our ‘Visiting Diss’ pages for more information.

[ W ]
Back to top.

Waste Recycling
The nearest waste recycling site to Diss is located in Brome (IP23 7HN). For details, click here. Local recycling centres in Norfolk can be found here.
South Norfolk Council also organises re-use and recycling events across the district. Find out when the next one is here.

Weed Control
Norfolk County Council sprays weeds on adopted roads and pavements, and also deals with ragwort, thistles, nettles, brambles and giant hogweed on roads. Weed killing normally starts in May with a second treatment in July or August.

Wild Birds
You can report noisy cockrels via South Norfolk District Council here. In the first instance, try to establish if anyone owns the birds or is responsible for them and contact them directly to see if the animals can be housed more efficiently. In the case of wild birds, there is little that can be done to remove them, though you may wish to contact the RSPCA on 01767 693690 (9 am-5.15 pm, Monday to Friday).

During outbreaks of bird flu, it is important to be vigilant around wild birds. Make sure to wash hands thoroughly after any contact with the birds. Members of the public are also being asked that if they find dead wild waterfowl (swans, geese or ducks) or gulls, or five or more dead wild birds of other species in the same location, they report them to the Defra Helpline on 03459 33 55 77.

[ X ]
Back to top.

[ Y ]
Back to top.

[ Z ]
Back to top.

Can’t find what you’re looking for? Try searching the site, or click here to contact us.